Commercials in front of movies

Last night’s theatrical showing of DIE ANOTHER DAY was preceeded by three trailers and five minutes of commercials.

I thought it hilarious that there was an ad before the movie for BMW Films — movies that are actually ads.

The line continues to blur.

9 Responses to “Commercials in front of movies”

1. Alan David Doane
    27. November 2002 at 11:21

I hate to tell you this, Augie, but the script was written in mixed-case font, too!

27. November 2002 at 11:29

Really, what’s your point?

3. BronteJD
    2. December 2002 at 21:14

Okay, that was strange. :)

Seriously, I’ve noticed that increasing trend in movie commercials as well. Granted, some of them ARE entertaining, but I’m not sure I like the trend. Granted, it now builds in an extra 5 minute cushion before the trailers start, which are an integral part of the movie-going experience. :)

2. December 2002 at 21:59

The trailers are the best part of the movie, half the time. (Sad, but true.)

But those extra five minutes are killer on my bladder…

See http://www.jonahweiland.com for an excellent story on bladder issues and movie lengths.

-Augie

5. BronteJD
    2. December 2002 at 22:13

LOL!!! True, true. And I can’t even make it through a 90-minute movie like Treasure Planet (which was excellent, btw) without needing to make a sprint for the facilities. :)

3. December 2002 at 00:19

I’m off to see that Kevin Klein movie tomorrow night. Emperor’s Club, I think it’s called. Wish me luck.

-Augie

7. BronteJD
    3. December 2002 at 11:46

oooo! Let me know how it is. Decarabas refuses to see it, saying it’s Dead Poet’s Society 2. :) And while he loved the first one, he doesn’t necessarily want to see a remake. :)

8. gren99
    3. December 2002 at 23:11

i recently read an article where some company fronting digital movie playback equipment managed to get BMW to underwrite the procurement of the equipment for digital playback in return for the theaters showing one of the various BMW films prior to the main feature. here in portland, the vennerable cinema 21 (the local arthouse cinema) got hooked up like that and i felt like taking the bus over there just to see some of the BMW films on the big screen. some of them are really quite exceptional.

4. December 2002 at 14:50

I’d consider going to a theater that was showing all of the BMW Films in a row for a regular movie ticket price. They are impressive.

Bronte –>

Ended up seeing THE RING instead. I’m sure I’ll be writing it up in the next couple of days. Sorry I can’t help you on this one.

-Augie