Group of 6 Results

John StevensTonight, we bid a fond farewell to John Stevens, the bravest contestant ever to take the AI stage.

Never before this has a contestant been subjected to the kind of insane blather than this one has. That includes death threats, charges of racism, and the impugning of one’s parents and grandparents. All this just because he wasn’t voted out of the show in the “correct” order. In the end, it all works out. It all evens out. Have you watched the last two seasons?

But John Stevens became the subject of such vitriole and hatred that he might as well be running for the White House. It’s been that bad.

Yet he took it all without responding. He smiled back. He sang his heart out. He did what he could. And he never quit. He could have given up at any point, had he wanted. He didn’t need to take all that crap. He could have walked.

But he took his unique-to-American-Idol style and came back week after week to try his best. No, it wasn’t enough. He was clearly outclassed, and the nerves got the better of him on many occasions. But after two solid weeks, his performances were overshadowed by a jittery populace looking to rip someone’s throat out for committing the sin of having fans who actually voted for him, instead of taking him for granted.

So farewell to John Stevens, clearly the only unique voice ever to make it to the Top 12 of a contest created to generate formulaic pop pap with overproduced synthetic sound. Let’s all be happy that he’s in a better place now where he doesn’t have to put up with all this crap anymore.

At least, until the season finale and the road tour. On the bright side, the road tour can be custom-fit for him. They can hide him in the back row of all the dance numbers like they did tonight. (Did you watch him trying to dance? He gave up. He had no clue. I like the boy all the more for that.) They can let him sing just HIS style of songs. I can imagine a sweet duet between he and his sweetie, Diana DeGarmo, whose tears were the wettest of the bunch tonight.

Just one question for those still shouting about racism prevailing in this contest: Does Diana have to go next week? Is that the politically correct vote now? Or would it be OK if, say, Jasmine went? She’s Filipino, I believe. Not quite black. What if George were voted out next week? He’s had three bad weeks in a row, but is it racism if his number comes up next? Remember: There can be only one winner. Best case scenario is that only one black contestant is left standing.

I can picture a final three right now of Fantasia, LaToya, and Diana. It’ll still be the battle of the Divas, just slightly reconfigured.

Now, where do John’s votes go? I’m guessing Jasmine or Diana. They’re the youngest and “sweetest” of the remaining contestants, and closest to his style. Those old folks who voted for Clay last year and John this year fall for that kind of thing. Or is that racism, too?

::sigh:: It’s amazing what this show has become…

28 Responses to “Group of 6 Results”

1. Nick
    28. April 2004 at 22:58

I missed the episode tonight! Who was 2nd to being kicked out?

2. Matthew M
    28. April 2004 at 23:07

Man, Diana’s a little hottiepants. So glad they can’t arrest you just on thoughts alone. And I’ve driven a tank!! (simulated)

28. April 2004 at 23:31

Nick –> For the first time this season, I think, I predicted it all correctly. George, Jasmine, and John were bottom three. Jasmine was pronounced safe first. Then John was voted off the island.

Matthew –> I never know who might be reading this. And as the hits get bigger and bigger on this blog each week, I grow increasingly aware of it. So I keep such thoughts to myself. However, I can’t blame you. Of course, I’m turning into a dirty old man, but that’s another post for another time. (Are today’s teenagers really that much cuter than when I was a teenager? Or is it the wistful longings for a simpler and younger time?)

4. EzekielRawlins
    29. April 2004 at 07:29

John, we hardly knew ya…

5. Shawn
    29. April 2004 at 07:41

Geez Aug…I am depressed after reading that eulogy.

29. April 2004 at 08:12

I wanted to wear all black today in his honor…

7. jessica
    29. April 2004 at 08:59

The reason little john boy was voted off, I believe had to do with the genre of music. I believe America would have kept him if it was something like singers/standards. Even though, I think he should have been kicked off many weeks ago. In retrospect, Simon is always correct. The onion and chocolate comment and the how he copes with criticism. John Boy, We love ya.

8. Wes C. Addle
    29. April 2004 at 09:06

That’s an interesting observation about Diana’s tears, Augie, considering she was CLEARLY seen on camera TOUCHING HER EYEBALL in order to get tears to come out. Diana was TRYING to cry for the camera. She knows what she’s doing, believe you me.

29. April 2004 at 09:07

Jessica –> You are so right, but I do think the producers went overboard to make sure to get John voted out this week. Everything they did or said was aimed at one thing: Getting John out. Every comment Ryan made or didn’t make was done purposefully. It’s a conspiracy.

And next week is Big Band week. If that had been this week, he probably would have survived and Jasmine might have gone, instead.

29. April 2004 at 09:08

Wes –> I thought she had just cried so much that her contact lens was shifting. Besides, everyone knows those two were the house sweethearts… (Or, well, I’m trying to propogate that rumor as best I can.)

11. Tyler White
    29. April 2004 at 09:26

I think that Jasmine should be the Ameican Idol because she is Beautiful and talented. Jasmine will you marry me?

12. Wes C. Addle
    29. April 2004 at 09:33

Touching your eyeball to cry is an old Beauty Pagent trick, right up there with Vaseline on the teeth. Someone as well trained as Diana would know how to do that very well.

29. April 2004 at 09:50

Wes: Interesting. I did not know that. So if the finale comes down to Diana versus Fantasia, who do we hate more?

14. William
    29. April 2004 at 09:54

Finnnaaaalllyy !!! Finally Jon has left the show!! I think he should have gone many weeks before….or would I say he shouldn’t have been in the Top 12 ! I had nothing against him in the begining…but he’s been performing so bad these past weeks…and it was so unfair u see ppl much better than him leaving the show..just like Jennifer and Matt….so I think it was more than time for him to go !!! I believe the Top final 3 are gonna be Diana, Fantasia and Latoya>>she’s gonna win this competition…if America votes right !!

15. Wes C. Addle
    29. April 2004 at 09:55

I would say Fantasia, but since this is American Idol, that would automatically brand me a racist. But then if I say Diana, I’m sexiest and ageist. Sigh. I don’t know who to root for any more!

16. bluuzman
    29. April 2004 at 10:45

Well, if you want to back the winner, root for LaToya. With Jennifer gone and Fantasia growing more and more desperate each week (with the baby displays and the put-your-hands-together exhortations and telling Jennifer “You’re my American Idol!” so EVERYONE could hear it), LaToya’s pretty much got it in the bag. No way Diana is going to beat her.

17. Broc Heasley
    29. April 2004 at 11:43

Latoya…zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

‘Nuff said.

18. Eric
    29. April 2004 at 12:45

I find it fascinating that in response to a post about how poor John got screwed over by an overly mean public (more on that later), we basically have people accusing Diana of being a manipulative little bitch, and how we hate her for it. So, somehow it’s an affront for people to dislike a competitor who very clearly was advancing in this competition not through his talent, but how he looked. But it’s okay to slap around a 16-year-old girl who brings a lot of stage training to a competition about–guess what?–talent and training.

Also, it’s astonishing to see how fast the Fantasia backlash has crested. And for what? Bringing out her baby (which, I’d lay odds, was the producers’ decision, not hers) and being vocal about missing a friend? Methinks the racism charges–which she had nothing to do with–are having a rather predictable counter effect that’s a little out of proportion.

Finally, on John: Sorry, Augie, I don’t buy the “If only John hadn’t been shafted by so many ill-fitting theme weeks.” He knew what this show was about, it’s format. And he should have known he’d have to work like hell to fit his unique style to work in those parameters. He failed miserably because he was ill-suited to this competition. If he had survived to Big Band week would he have ruled? Hell yes. But that, country and movie night would have been three out of, like, seven weeks where he performed even passibly (let’s not mention how he bombed nearly every facet of the Hollywood semifinals), hardly a track record worth applauding. Worth death threats? Good god, no. But when he kept advancing while other singers, more up to the task, kept falling because of a voting block that found him cute… Well, that wasn’t fair either. I’m just saying that the pity poor John thing is a little ridiculous. He had more than a fair shot. And it’s hypocritcal to bemoan his unfair treatment while simultaneously casting some nasty aspersions at the remaining contestants. Bitch about their singing all you want, but let’s not paint them as pariahs.

19. Wes C. Addle
    29. April 2004 at 13:25

Reel it in there a tad, Eric. I said NOTHING about hating Diana, nor did I call her a bitch. It’s interesting, though that you point out how she was manipulating the audience. DUH! The ENTIRE SHOW is about maniuplation. The contestants do it — Matt Rodgers IMMEDIATELY comes to mind there rosebowlrosebowlrosebowlrosebowl. I was simply pointing out what she was doing with her tears because Augie overlooked it.

As for Fantasia, I’ve pretty much loathed Fantasia since about the second week of finals. The whole loud, brash “Ghettofabulous” image grates on me. It’s obnoxious. I’m tired of it. Matt Rodgers was kind of the same way, being the big, loud, obnoxious white guy. I loathed him from the START.

And as Augie pointed out last week — when I made the prediction about Fantasia’s kid, I put the blame SQUARELY on the shoulders of the producers. I do not “hate” Fantasia for using the kid, nor do I “hate” her for acting like she was leading a chorus at Jennifer Hudson’s wake.

20. John C.
    29. April 2004 at 13:29

Some quick thoughts:

The racism charge, which I’ve promulgated, is being a bit misunderstood, I think. The point, to me, isn’t that blatant, rabid racism is at play – as has been pointed out ad nauseum last year’s winner was black – but that on some level, large swaths of the AI voters prefer the perky white young model to the edgier, even slightly more urban model. It’s not concsious, and it’s not some organized anti-black movement. But I DO believe there’s something there – that, again, if Hudson looked like DeGarmo she’d still be in.

As far as Stevens goes, his ouster is rightly being celebrated because he was/is BAD – not a good singer. And, this is very important, not really a good singer EVEN FROM WITHIN HIS LITTLE NICHE. I’m GLAD Stevens will miss big band week, because most of the other singers can do it better than he can; he’s not even a good Sinatra-esque crooner. His tone is weak, his range is miniscule, and he has NO power to speak of. And, to me, it was very clear for the past three weeks that he knew this. He had accidentally made it to a place he didn’t belong, and he wasn’t happy about it. Sure, talk, even jokey talk, of him needing to be killed is, in addition to being hyperbolic, wrong. But I’m not sure I should feel sorry for him.

29. April 2004 at 13:36

Eric –> The whole eulogy to John is a little over the top. Of course you can’t blame the diverse themes as being a producer’s manipulation and unfair play. That’s part of this contest. Lots of people have complained about Gloria Estefan night, but I think it’s a perfect addition to the competition. Latin music has an influence on pop music these days, even post-Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias. So it was fitting.

William –> It doesn’t matter what orders the contestants get voted out in. That’s all window dressing. It’s the ultimate winner that matters. Eventually, it all shakes out for the best. Whether Jennifer goes out 1st, 11th, or fifth, she’s still out. Everything else is secondary. It’s nice to think that the contestants will fall in the relative order of their talents, but that’s not always going to happen, for reasons we’ve discussed her ad nauseum.

John –> It’s not racism if the preference of the great part of the voting population leans towards the style of a white contestant versus that of the black contestant. The ultimate goal of this show, after all, is to sell more albums. Thus, the majority rules.

It’s only racism if people are voting for Diana or John instead of Fantasia, LaToya, or George just because they’re white, and not relative to their talents or personality or whatever factor the voters use.

22. EzekielRawlins
    30. April 2004 at 08:10

I don’t know about anyone else but the banter on this comments page between Wes and Augie is too damn funny.

“Who do we hate more?” Hilarious.

23. Tyler White
    30. April 2004 at 09:36

What was goin on with America when they voted off Jenifer Hudson. I mean it was already enough that they put the three most talented people in the bottom three. I’m not saying its racism but all three women were black.By the way vote for Jasmine

24. bluuzman
    30. April 2004 at 10:11

Broc -> Prepare yourself for a really long snooze, because LaToya’s going to win.

Btw, I agree with those who say no one in this group has as much potential as Kelly, Tamyra, Clay or even Ruben.

30. April 2004 at 11:11

Ezekiel –> Though I do a farely decent job of hiding it on-line, I really hate people in general.

Tyler –> What happened last week is what happens on AMERICAN IDOL every year without fail. Check out last week’s American Idol posts for more on that. But why would you vote for Jasmine if you think LaToya and Fantasia are more talented?

26. John C.
    30. April 2004 at 11:39

Bluuzman – I think that Barrino is more talented than than Kelly, Clay, or Rueben, AND has more potential to still be a music biz factor ten years from now.

27. bluuzman
    1. May 2004 at 11:26

John C. — No doubt Fantasia’s talented, but you’re overlooking that a lot of people don’t like her. Everyone I know likes her singing but dislikes her as a person. There’s a good chance she’s not going to sell a lot of records.

28. Tyler White
    1. May 2004 at 23:19

Question? Why was John Stevens ever on the show he has NO! talent. If you ask me he should have been the first to be voted off anyone agree? Vote for Jasmine!!!