Short Cuts to DVD

DVDFILE.COM: Disc News

After many years of waiting by Robert Altman fans, the director’s last remaining epic not to get the DVD treatment is finally here. Just announced from The Criterion Collection is a November 12th release for Short Cuts, which will get the full two-disc treatment.

This is one I’ve wanted to see for years, for a relatively odd reason: Lori Singer of VR.5 was also in it.

Plus, it’s Altman which means it’ll be at least interesting. His GOSFORD PARK should have won Best Picture in 2002. It’s an amazing piece of work.

7 Responses to “Short Cuts to DVD”

1. Matthew M
    31. August 2004 at 12:31

Short Cuts is an amazing film, and a superb adaptation of Carver’s stories. There’s echoes of Nashville here (large cast, long movie, intertwining storylines), but this baby is all its own. And watching it makes you want to go find PTA and smack him for Magnolia (actually, I have to deal with that urge even without watching Short Cuts).

A staggeringly great film. Everyone should at least rent it. Also Gymkata.

2. John C.
    31. August 2004 at 14:15

I don’t know much of Altman’s work, but what I DO know has me very intrigued by the news that he’s writtent the libretto for a new opera based on one of his older films, A Wedding.

3. Jody Morgan
    31. August 2004 at 22:10

… Gymkata?

4. jason
    31. August 2004 at 23:18

I really like Short Cuts, although it’s a bit meandering at times. My favorite of his films is The Player, although MASH comes in at a close second.

5. Matthew M
    1. September 2004 at 00:22

Gymkata.

And Short Cuts — and really Altman — does the impossible; it/he takes an actress who I previously found unawatchable (although insanely beautiful) and in turn presents her in a strong, incredible performance.

I am, of course, talking about Andie McDowell. She’s been singularly awful in too many movies. But she’s amazing in Short Cuts.

I could watch this movie and Nashville over and over again. Also Over The Top.

1. September 2004 at 14:54

Gymkata: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089243/

Wow, that sounds stupendously entertainingly bad. Kurt Thomas: Action hero? heh

7. Matthew M
    1. September 2004 at 23:20

Gymkata really has to be seen to be believed. It’s beyond the category of “So bad, it’s good”. It’s more like, “Is there even a plane of existence in which the people filming this monstrosity thought they were actually doing good work?!?!?”

Back to Short Cuts… you know what’s a really trippy bit? Revisiting Altman’s “Popeye”. Perhaps a failure as a movie in many regards, but in many ways a completely fascinating and eminently watchable failure. I’m always intrigued by those types of films. They don’t quite work, but it’s utterly riveting to examine why the pieces don’t fit.