The TiVo 2 Million

TiVo hits two million subscribers – Engadget – www.engadget.com

Just what the headline says. TiVo now has two million subscribers. Why it’s not ten times that, I’ll never know. I guess not enough of us are putting our friends in front of one for a week to show them how it will change their lives…

8 Responses to “The TiVo 2 Million”

1. BronteJD
    27. September 2004 at 09:54

E.M. and I are talking about getting one in April when we get married. I honestly and legitimately have a problem with paying a subscription fee when you’ve already paid for a unit (which isn’t cheap, by the by). I realize it’s not that much, but it’s General Principle here. Also, I know it’s the same concept as paying for a cable service or satellite TV while you have a TV set, but still. Not sure yet.

2. Noel
    27. September 2004 at 10:14

My wife and I treated each other to a TiVo for out birthdays — mine was two weeks ago and hers is two weeks from now — and split the cost of the unit and a lifetime subscription, based on the advice we got here. So far it’s been totally worth it. It’s helping me keep track of the new fall TV season, and to catch up with movies on TCM and super-hero cartoons on the CN that I otherwise would’ve missed (because they come on in the middle of the night or are scheduled at odd times). I’ve also got it recording the scant hour or so a day of video programming on MTV and VH1, which usually takes me about five minutes to get through since they show the same ten videos almost every day.

What’s surprised me about TiVo so far are the little extras I hasn’t read about. Like how when you fast-forward, the program automatically skips back about five to ten seconds when you stop, so that you don’t have the old VCR problem of fast-forwarding too far into a show. And since we have our TiVo on our wireless home network, I can play music from my iTunes library on our living room TV, which is convenient at dinner time or when we have friends over.

So, go TiVo. And I have to agree with what everybody told me here about getting the lifetime subscription. I hate bills. I’d rather pay a big chunk, because once the money’s gone I don’t miss it. (I have the same philosophy about taxes, though I know our host doesn’t agree.)

27. September 2004 at 10:48

Bronte — With the right deal, you should be able to get a TiVo for $99. I see that ad in the papers all the time nowadays. So the base unit isn’t that expensive anymore. Yeah, the service charge is the worrisome part. Since I received mine as a gift, I picked up the full lifetime fee right away without blinking and haven’t regretted it. I’m making my money back now. I understand your concern, though. You can always NOT pick up the service contract, and just use it as a digital VCR to start. (It only defeats some of the TiVos purposes that way.)

Noel – And don’t forget the hacks. The most wonderful one is the 30-second skip feature. http://www.bigmarv.net/how/tivo30secondskip.html

I like it because I tend to record a lot of cable shows on their overnight and off-hour weekend reruns. When World Series of Poker conflicts with SCRUBS, for example, it’s a piece of cake to view upcoming showings of WSOP and pick the oddball hour I want to record it at, often at 3 or 5 in the afternoon. I don’t get that lucky with SCRUBS.

4. BronteJD
    27. September 2004 at 10:59

Crap. Those are all good points. ::sigh:: Well, at least we have time to decide. ;)

27. September 2004 at 13:19

Should some foolish female ever agree to be my wife, we’re registering at Best Buy.

6. BronteJD
    27. September 2004 at 14:26

You joke – Eric and I were actually having a serious conversation about whether we COULD register at BestBuy.

And any female would be lucky to have you ask her. So there. ::nods decisively:: ;)

27. September 2004 at 21:49

That’s nice of you to say, P. An utter and bold-faced lie, but I appreciate the thought. ;-)

8. Matthew M
    28. September 2004 at 20:57

Get the Pioneer model with the DVD Burner. It makes Tivo even cooler, if such a thing is possible. Dirty, but never wrong.