Mac Key Confusion

I’ve only had the Mac at home for a week, and it’s obvious that I’m getting used to it. This morning at work on my PC, I noticed my first instinct to close down a window is to go to the upper left corner to click on the red light, instead of the upper right corner to hit the “X”. Yes, I know about CMD-Q, but the same problem holds true for minimization.

I’m also trying to hit ALT-C to cut instead of CNTL-C.

The conversion has truly begun.

I will say, this, however: A one button mouse is still a horribly useless thing.

8 Responses to “Mac Key Confusion”

1. Broc Heasley
    29. September 2004 at 17:28

Ah, the perils of living in two worlds at once. You will get used to it Augie, I guarantee it. I’ve been using a Mac at my current job for 3 years now and I spent some time with them before that in my Graphic Design classes at college. At the same time, I’ve been using a PC at home. On the Mac I design with Adobe applications, on the PC I use Corel. At first, this was a completely schizophrenic way of doing things but now it’s second nature.

It’s a lot like knowing two languages. When I was 19 I went on a 2-year mission and had to learn Spanish, a language I got C’s in during High School. Within 6 months I was translating church services from English to Spanish and vice versa. Your brain has to do quite a few flips to make that transistion seamless but it eventually works it out.

2. Bill
    29. September 2004 at 17:33

Don’t they now sell 2 button Mac mouses specifically to appeal to converts from PC Land? I thought I saw those in some catalog or online somewhere.

3. Brian Huberd
    29. September 2004 at 19:02

Augie, head on over to OfficeMax and pick yourself up one of those nice USBLogitech 2 button scrollwheel optical mice for about $20. Plugs right on in, no special drivers and OS X recognizes the scroll wheel in Safari and the 2nd button acts like you’d expect for contextual menus. Worth every penny…

4. R. K. Bentley
    29. September 2004 at 19:55

I picked up a Wacom Tablet about three years back and it’s still alive and kicking. The 3×4 Tablets work very well for their size.

30. September 2004 at 08:40

I kept my USB two-button mouse from my old PC. It works fine with games and whatnot. Mac OS X will recognize most USB mouses, so that’s OK.

But for everyday use, I’m sticking with my Wacom Tablet. It saves my wrist a bunch, and I have (virtually) two buttons. Plus, I’m getting used to holding down a key as I click, anyway.

6. BronteJD
    30. September 2004 at 13:13

What’s a WACOM tablet?? ::puzzled:: And it’s APPLE-C, not control-C. ;) Although I also do the multi-universe thing, and some days in the morning at work (especially if I’ve been typing late at night), I find myself wondering why I’m hitting keys and nothing is happening. :)

7. Stephen Gerding
    30. September 2004 at 14:56

Apple-C = Command-C. Control-C is totally different, and could cause you some confusion from one program to another.

Wait until you get to the point where you don’t even think about the names of the keys – you just smack your finger into position and hit 2 or 3 keys at once through sheer reflex. That’s when you’ll really know you’ve arrived.

30. September 2004 at 15:51

There are three keys to the left of the space bar. At this point, I know enough to feel for the first key to the left of the space bar to handle most of what I need. That’s the APPLE key or the key with the funny looking four-sided loop-de-leep-at-each-corner that takes the place of most of the “CTRL” keypresses I have for the PC.

Pardon my terminology foul-ups passed that. =)

Bronte – A Wacom tablet is what is used by a lot of the artsy crowd. (Letterers and colorists in the world of comics swear by it, more often than not.)

You can see it at wacom.com. It basically lets you use a pen-like interface to control the cursor on the screen instead of the mouse. It’s more comfortable for my wrist, which is why I use it as much as possible. In all honesty, it’s a little bit slower to use, but that’s not a deal breaker and the gain in ease-of-use to my wrist is worth it.