New Releases, 29 March 2005

I’m using the DVDJournal.com list this week. Here are some highlights. I, of course, strongly recommend listening to this week’s epic 15 minute podcast for all the details, asides, and reviews.

Apollo 13: 10th Anniversary Edition (1995)

One of the greatest movies of the 90s and, quite honestly, it would have to be on the short list of my favorite movies of all time.

Closer (2004)

I really would like to see this one. Maybe if it’s on sale cheaply enough. . .

Dark Shadows DVD Collection 17

That is not a typo. There are really 17 collections of DARK SHADOWS. Wow.

Islands in the Stream (1977)

…that is what we are. And we rely on each other aha. From one lover to another aha

That was disturbing.

The Lone Gunmen: The Complete Series (3-disc set)

Release of the week. Great show. Suffered for not being super-serious like X-FILES.

Murder She Wrote: Season One

Jessica Fletcher investigates a string of murders with only one thing in common: Herself.

Orgazmo: Unrated Special Edition (1997)

You know you want it.

I know I need a shower now for just typing that. . .

Teletubbies: Go Exercise With the Teletubbies Teletubbies: Oooh Springtime Surprises & Magical Teletubbies: Naughty Noo-Noo!

This is even more disturbing.

The Twilight Zone: Season Two (6-disc set)

These really look to be the ultimate editions of the series. Season 3 was just announced for the summer.

World Poker Tour: Season Two

If you’re a poker fan, there’s plenty to learn from rewatching episodes, even after you know who’s won. I rewatched a few of these shows a couple of months ago and spotted new stuff that I didn’t catch the first time around. This set might be worth it just for the commentary tracks. It’s very tempting.

Next week: ELEKTRA and SIDEWAYS. What a mix!

10 Responses to “New Releases, 29 March 2005”

1. EzekielRawlins
    29. March 2005 at 10:00

Reminder: Best Buy is pushing Sin City with a “free promo DVD” all this week sorta like they did w/Hellboy. I for one, can’t wait to get my greasy paws on it when I go down there to pick up the new Ben Harper DVD.

2. Paul
    29. March 2005 at 10:17

I may mooch off my family for several of these. My brothers are likely to buy The Lone Gunman since they’re both X-Files fans, while my parents are big mystery buffs so it’s a good bet that they’ll pick up Murder, She Wrote. Someday I’d like to pick up Twilight Zone, but, alas, no cash.

3. Paul
    29. March 2005 at 10:26

Oops, forgot that I will be picking up one thing this week. Astro Boy the complete collection. I loved the series and thought it adapted the feel of the books quite well (and significantly improved the Atlas character). It would be nice to have an unedited version as wel since the American version was rescored with a techno/orchestral mix over the original orchestral music, and some scenes were edited down for violence. I don’t care enough to not buy this, though.

4. BronteJD
    29. March 2005 at 11:51

You know, with all the Snark you’ve leveled at CLOSER, I’m honestly surprised that you want to see it. Huh. ;)

And you truly ought to be smacked for the Islands in the Stream thing. UGH!

29. March 2005 at 13:37

“Snark?” Me? I made fun of Sean Penn’s line about Jude Law a couple of times. And, yes, I made fun of its inability to win anything at the Oscars. But I never besmirched its good name or reputation. =)

I bought it today. I was weak. And I did get the SIN CITY promo DVD. It’s in the player right now. heh

6. BronteJD
    29. March 2005 at 15:23

oh, and the comments about the sound? ;)

29. March 2005 at 15:31

It ain’t an epic sci-fi shoot ‘em up spectacular. Regular surround sound is likely all it needs. DD5.1 at most. DTS isn’t necessary, tho it is cool. =)

8. BronteJD
    29. March 2005 at 15:58

But don’t you want to hear those cutting verbal parlays in the best sound imaginable? :)

9. EzekielRawlins
    29. March 2005 at 18:20

ARGH! My Best Buy was completely empty of promos but I did manage to pick up the Ben Harper DVD…guess I’ll have better luck with the eventual sequel.

Have the new releases lately been lacking a bit or it is just me?

10. Jason
    30. March 2005 at 00:20

Release of the week for me – AC/DC Family Jewels – all their videos, plus old TV appearances featuring Bon Scott – can’t go wrong with that.