AI4 – Results – Group of 10

All the theories in the world don’t mean squat sometimes.

The bottom three were Nadia, Jessica, and Anwar. I got one out of those three.

Sadly, one of the best singers this week and so far this season is now gone. I’m not delusional; I know Jessica wasn’t going to win it all. In the end, this is just a whittling down process. Jessica was going to be cannon fodder. But when you listened to her sing last night, or singing “Total Eclipse” last week, you have to think it’s a tragedy that she’s gone all of a sudden.

Simon is right in that she never quite made that connection with fans. Singing quality isn’t the be-all and end-all of the pop music world. Popularity does count, as much as the judges tried to convince America otherwise tonight. Jessica didn’t quite get there. Her fan base never solidified. Now, she’s gone. I’m officially a Carrie man now.

Carrie should be very happy tonight. She’s the biggest winner. The two singers in the competition that would split votes with her — Lindsey and Jessica — are now gone. Carrie’s going to be in the Top Three now, almost for certain.

Nadia should be scared. Vonzell is paired up with her, and is pulling ahead. Two bottom three appearances in a row are not deserved for Nadia. Vonzell’s upside is starting to show through right now, and Nadia has one off week and pays for it two weeks in a row.

We’ll see what happens next week. I want to get rid of Scott, still. . .

As for the rest of the show:

The group singalong stunk again, but the commercial was their funniest one yet. Very cute.

18 Responses to “AI4 – Results – Group of 10”

1. B.
    31. March 2005 at 05:18

I agree – what’s up with the group sing-a-long? Do they even rehearse for it? They’re absolutely cringe-worthy terrible!

It’s too bad Jessica’s gone – after Total Eclipse, she really had me.

2. Shawn
    31. March 2005 at 07:45

How about that Carrie close up at the end last night. BWAHAHAHA…either they really want her to win or they wanted to get her reaction to Jessica..either way it made me laugh out loud. I’ve been a Vonzell fan from the begining and I think she’ll need another really good week to keep up her momentum.

3. Chris Hunter
    31. March 2005 at 09:51

THANK GOD, SHE’S GONE!!

I have NO idea how she made it this far, seriously, but I think that she left in the right succession. The others that have left weren’t as good as her, but compared to the rest that are left, bye-bye…

4. EzekielRawlins
    31. March 2005 at 09:52

Argh! I thought the Ford commerical was an insult to Digable Planets and Crank Yankers. And I would have dropped Anwar not Jessica-they both seem to be lacking in the personality dept, but I feel she’s the better singer of the two.

31. March 2005 at 10:16

But Jessica’s problem here is just song selection. The song she sang, she sang well.

Shawn – I missed the closeup, I guess. TiVo gave out as the credits started rolling. It’s funny, because in the past couple of weeks, the camera would always cut to Carrie and Jessica on the side of the stage crying. This week — no tears.

6. Tracie
    31. March 2005 at 10:17

I don’t know what to say, I’m so stunned…

but I would have put good money on it being a guy who left last night. I was certainit would be. Now it is 2:1…..6 guys, 3 girls.

The hype all years said the guys were the ones to beat, but come on…..Scott or Anwar should have been packing their bags. Hell, I think Scott had his packed in expectation….

7. Mark
    31. March 2005 at 10:34

Carrie ain’t gonna win if they can’t give her a personality.

Or if she doesn’t learn to put some emotion in her eyes when she sings.

8. Jeff
    31. March 2005 at 12:46

I can’t believe Anthony didn’t even make the bottom 3. I’d have to say he’s the worse left from all of them..maybe Anwar coming in second. As much as I didn’t like Jessica getting the boot last night, I can’t complain about it. I have to remember this is a popularity contest and sometimes, the people who are more deserving of staying won’t. SIGH.

9. Tracie
    31. March 2005 at 15:20

I was reading an old msn chat with Kelly, the day after she won….

“Do you have any advice for future “American Idolâ€? competitors?

Kelly Clarkson says: Yes. Be confident. Do not show fear. That’s the one thing that Simon and Randy will get you for. They know that a performer must be fearless. If you feel it, don’t show it. Also take what’s unique about you and go with it.

I wonder which 2005 this could be…..Bo?

I agree with Mark that Carrie needs to give us more personality…or just show us no fear!

10. bluuzman
    31. March 2005 at 16:45

Hi, all. I haven’t commented since last season, though I’ve been looking in the last week or two. I would have preferred to see Anwar or Scott go, but Jessica was right behind them. Like Scott and Anthony, her problem isn’t that she can’t sing–she certainly can–but that she’s totally bland. Unlike Carrie, Constantine, etc., she doesn’t connect with the audience (as Augie pointed out). She doesn’t make any mistakes, but nothing spills over, either. There are no sparks whatsoever. Nikko, who can’t sing nearly as well, is ten times the performer she is.

But it still should have been Anwar leaving. The opening half minute of his performance was dreadful!

11. George
    31. March 2005 at 19:13

Go the the url.. scott beats up his ex-girlfriends

12. Chris Hunter
    31. March 2005 at 19:27

“Chris – you’re completely tone deaf. Did you hear Jessica sing this week? Didn’t miss a note. You can’t say that this week about Scott or Anwar or Nikko or even Constantine. Maybe Bo, but I don’t know that song enough to even be able to tell.”

Hahaha. You only wish that I was, Augie. I’ve heard all of her songs and it was just a long time coming.

It was time for her to go. Pitch problems, sour notes, not able to hold the right tone until the end of notes, bad song selection…

THANK GOD she’s gone! Give me the rest of the girls that are still there over her any day. Even Nadia’s worst performance (Time After Time) was better than any of Jessica’s best.

13. Chris Hunter
    31. March 2005 at 19:29

“Go the the url.. scott beats up his ex-girlfriends.”

What the hell are you talking about? What url?

14. Anwar!
    1. April 2005 at 02:05

Jessica absolutely does not deserve to go this week. She is consistently one of the top vocalists in the entire competition. Scott was absolutely dreadful this week and has absolutely no star quality whatsoever. Whatever criticism Jessica has taken for not being as likeable should go double for Scott.

Yes, Carrie gets a lot of face time. No surprise there because she gets the ratings and she deserves it too after her performance in the group sing-along. She sang her part very well, which is something you can’t say for almost everybody else. Speaking of which, Vonzell really struggled with her part in the sing-along with some pitch problems, which is disappointing because she has so much potential. I feel that on a good night, she can take on Carrie head-to-head vocally and beat her… but her consistency is not always there.

15. Shawn
    1. April 2005 at 08:33

Oh and by the way…has anyone noticed Matt Rogers in the audience during the show? How does one get front row tickets to Idol? I guess they put him there.

1. April 2005 at 09:21

The best way to get front row tickets to IDOL is to have a sit-com on FOX, I think.

Or be Donny Osmond. Even he was in the second or third row, though.

17. EzekielRawlins
    1. April 2005 at 09:40

I kept waiting for Seacreast to come over and greet Matt which apparently never happened…seemed a bit rude to me. I thought those two crazy kids got along.

1. April 2005 at 10:41

It’s a live show. They may have had a timing issue on it. They probably were prepared to do so if they needed to stretch for 30 seconds, though. Otherwise, they have ‘stars’ in the crowd all the time that they don’t acknowledge.