New releases, 26 April 2005

Full list at DVDJournal.com

Airline: Season One (2-disc set)

Reality TV hits Southwest Airlines. Thanks for reminding me why I don’t ever want to work retail again.

Beaches: Special Edition (1988)

Nooooooooo

Blade Trinity: Platinum Series (unrated) (2-disc set) (2004) Blade Trinity: Platinum Series (R-rated) (2-disc set) (2004)

I’ll go with the unrated. I like blood and guts.

F for Fake: The Criterion Collection (2-disc set) (1976)

Orson Welles. Supposed to be really really good.

The Family Guy: Vol. 1 (2-disc set) The Family Guy: Vol. 2 (2-disc set)

I have no idea what this repackaging is now, but it’s a great show.

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events (widescreen) (2004)

ACE VENTURE II is on cable right now. UGH

Leonard Part 6 (1987)

Wow. I saw this movie as a much younger man. Yes, it is as bad as they made it out to be. Why do they bother putting it out on DVD? Does Bill Cosby need the money that badly?

Survivor: The Australian Outback: The Complete Season

Someday, that reality TV cable network will get started and we’ll be able to rewatch these series for free. I don’t need to pay, though, for them.

Wild Things 3: Diamonds in the Rough (2005)

The world doesn’t need this, either.

Next week: New seasons of Gilmore Girls and Dawson’s Creek, plus THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, SPACEBALLS: SPECIAL EDITION, and a lot more. We’re starting to get good stuff on a regular basis again.

13 Responses to “New releases, 26 April 2005”

1. Scott Beeler
    26. April 2005 at 10:24

I thought “Lemony Snicket” was pretty good. Sure, Jim Carrey does some scenery-chewing, but there’s a reason for it, and he’s not so awfully over-the-top as in “The Grinch”.

Not as good as the books, naturally, but I’m glad they did it; it was fun.

2. EzekielRawlins
    26. April 2005 at 11:08

“Diamonds in the Rough” -That’s hilarious!

Can’t wait to pick up Blade even though Wesley got his feelings hurt on this one!

3. tully
    26. April 2005 at 12:46

“I’ll go with the unrated. I like blood and guts.”

If you haven’t seen it at all, I would go with a rental first. I thought it was really awful, and I liked both of the previous entries.

I’m curious to see UNDERTOW. It didn’t play theatrically in my city, and I enjoyed both of David Gordon Green’s previous movies.

4. Bart
    26. April 2005 at 13:12

UNDERTOW was great, but very different than Green’s previous efforts. It has the same visual style and tone, but plotwise is a different beast altogether.

5. Patricia
    26. April 2005 at 14:07

Don’t buy Blade. It’s AWFUL. Rent it, if you must.

6. GeorgeC
    26. April 2005 at 19:02

Augie,

My feeling is that Fox is trying to reach the Family Guy fans who didn’t buy the season sets the first time around because they thought they were “too expensive.” That’s why we see the repacks today.

Fox has been splitting up its Lost in Space season sets to lessen the impact on people’s wallets.

Of course, the fact that WB can price its Smallville, Buffy, and Angel sets competitively ($60 or less) shines light on the fact that most consumers feel that $100 DVD TV season sets are overpriced!

There’s no reason 30- and 40-year-old shows like the original Star Trek should be priced $100 when they’ve paid for themselves several times over in syndication and in previous multiple home video releases. $100 pricing IS criminal…

7. Jeff
    26. April 2005 at 19:16

The repackaging of Family Guy includes a bonus DVD and T-Shirt I believe. I know that’s what they advertised at Best Buy. Might include that Live In Vegas soundtrack that came out today too. But don’t quote me on that.

8. GeorgeC
    27. April 2005 at 01:35

Correction:

I was wrong about Family Guy.

Seems like they’re the same two sets already available but at a lower price with T-shirts packed in.

I found that out later today as I went in to trade in a DVD I bought earlier for a limited edition and also picked up a Masters Replica scale miniature of Obi-Wan’s Episode III lightsaber… Anakin’s saber gets released in May. Best Buy and most stores are selling the AFFORDABLE replicas (0.45 scale, $35 MSRP), not the full-size mega-geek fan replicas (MSRP $369)! You can basically only buy the full-size replicas online. Discounts for the full-size replicas are lousy… You save $20 at most on the majority of websites.

Lightsabers… Gotta love ‘em! LOL

Now where were before I got side-tracked with the Episode III merchandise…?

9. EzekielRawlins
    27. April 2005 at 02:29

Bought Blade-I like it so far(halfway thru)-I don’t dig that split screen style ala 24, too distracting.

10. Josh Herndon
    27. April 2005 at 08:26

While Blade: Trinity was not as strong as the previous installments, I enjoyed it very much. I thought it was a great flick and a good way to wrap up the trilogy. Wonder how this lawsuit will affect the rumors of a 4th one… Give someone enough $$$ and anything is possible…

11. EzekielRawlins
    27. April 2005 at 08:58

Wesley’s my man, but even Blade has to pay the Tax Man. He’s already lost 1 house to the IRS and about to lose another-so he decides to sue the one constant employer he’s had since what ’97? And if memory serves, he’s got an arrest warrant floating out there. I really hope he hasn’t lost his mind…

12. GeorgeC
    28. April 2005 at 01:22

It’s not the first time Snipes has had problems with the law.

A while back, he had problems with speeding and a number of people voiced concerns he would either end up in jail after his numerous traffic stops or get killed in a collision.

Besides that, didn’t Snipes have a school in Florida set up to train people in paramilitary skills? (I kid you not — it sounds NUTS, but it’s TRUE!) He couldn’t get clearance, however, to get a license to train his students with live ammunition!

Geez… I knew Wesley Snipes wanted to play The Black Panther (the Marvel character) in a movie, just didn’t think that he wanted to be A Black Panther! LOL

So, yeah, I think the guy’s a bit off his rocker, too!

13. EzekielRawlins
    28. April 2005 at 10:00

I don’t know about the paramilitary school, but I know that Martial Arts is his LIFE-that and paternity suits. As for the speeding, I think that’s like a rule for actors to see if they can outrun the cops at least once. Regarding the Black Panther role, I know he was really upset that Sam Jackson got the Shaft role.