The Island has problems

The comparisons between “The Island” and “The Clonus Horror” have been made for months. Now, it seems, the creator of the original movie is going to sue.

I know the reviews have been awful for Michael Bay’s latest movie, but I still want to see it. Sometimes, you just want to shut your brain off and enjoy the spectacle, you know? I’m one of the few people in the world who didn’t hate “Armageddon” with a white hot passion. I didn’t think it was the greatest thing since “Cats,” but it was an entertaining flic that had some very clumsy plot contrivances.

“The Island” just looks like a fun popcorn movie.

Now, though, I want to dig up my tape of the MST3K edition of ‘Clonus’ before I see the new big screen release.

I better hurry it up, though, as “The Island” didn’t do very well in its opening weekend. It finished fourth. OUCH. That surprises me. It had plenty of promotion and a slick trailer or two. The thought that “Stealth” might outperform it is a bit worrisome, but I bet that would only happen because the word of mouth on “Stealth” is that it looks so bad that you have to see it.

It’s possible that there will be a big lesson learned from all this: If you’re going to rip off another movie, make sure it’s not one that’s been MiSTed first.

6 Responses to “The Island has problems”

1. Scott Beeler
    26. July 2005 at 14:37

That opening week for “The Island” really has to sting something fierce. A $12M opening for a $122M film? Ouch.

I’ll happily indulge in a little schadenfreude over that, since I’m definitely not a fan of Bay’s, and judging just from the trailer to “The Island” it seems that the Clonus guy has a case.

2. Sean
    26. July 2005 at 14:38

Fantastic Four is a popcorn movie. Just a movie that you like where the spent more on special effects than writing. The Island looks horrible.

3. Nick
    26. July 2005 at 17:51

The Island isn’t bad at all. I saw it 2 weeks ago now and enjoyed it. Sure, it’s loud and a little dumb, but the first hour is a quite passable sci-fi movie. The rest is all action.
    The reason the movie flopped is the terrible promos. I mean, in the trailer, they TELL you that THERE IS NO ISLAND. Great thinking, considering that’s the title of the stupid movie. Don’t need to bother to see that then, do I?
    But, if you can get past that, I bet the average person would enjoy themselves a lot. It’s not as good as a lot of other movies that have come out this summer (it’s been so good!), but in a normal summer, this would be one of the best things in theaters. Just my opinion.

4. Nick
    26. July 2005 at 17:53

Oh, and the Clonus dude is totally going to win his case. I’ve seen both of them. So he’ll get awarded 50% of the profits, which will amount to owing $50 mil. Yippee.

5. EzekielRawlins
    27. July 2005 at 07:37

My 2 cents- There doesn’t seem to be any appeal for me to see ‘The Island’, I mean, where’s the hook?

6. Stu
    30. July 2005 at 23:05

“Where’s the hook?”

Abortion, stem cell research, human cloning… Watch the movie — it really isn’t that bad. But while you are watching, pay close attention to who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Watch for the imagery that ties the clones to embryos, the gestation chambers to wombs, and the unwrapping of the “products” to giving birth.

Perhaps unintentionally, this movie could have served to wake people up to certain unpleasant realities of human cloning, unrestricted abortion-on-demand, and embryonic stem cell research. Certainly this would be an unpopular message to send in Hollywood, so it’s quite possible that the parallels that my wife and I noticed were purely unintentional. Either way, watch it with an open mind. It isn’t really a popcorn movie…