Thursday Link Dump

9 Responses to “Thursday Link Dump”

1. Beau
    28. July 2005 at 11:19

Never underestimate Steve Jobs’ abilities to do something incredibly short-sighted and stupid and toss away an opportunity to seize the high ground. He’s done it numerous times and does an excellent job of alienating partners.

2. Scott Beeler
    28. July 2005 at 12:25

I love the signs site. “The Secret Penguin” cracks me up. While on vacation in Hawaii last year my brothers and I started taking pictures of the multitude of warning signs out there. Here’s a couple I took. My brother had even more, but I think he took them down from his website since I can’t get to where they used to be. “Oh, the pain.” http://members.cox.net/scottbeeler/Hawaii/Sign.jpg When Waves Attack. http://members.cox.net/scottbeeler/Hawaii/Sign2.jpg Hawaiian danger. http://members.cox.net/scottbeeler/Hawaii/Sign3.jpg Fish and eels…? http://members.cox.net/scottbeeler/Hawaii/Sign4.jpg Directional waves. http://members.cox.net/scottbeeler/Hawaii/Sign5.jpg

3. Shane
    28. July 2005 at 12:50

I think price point and existing computers will be a factor. Companies aren’t likely to gravitate to a completely new way of working (new OS, new computers) all at once because a new OS requires new training and new software. For instance if you have all the PC programs that your company needs it’s “easier” and “more feasible money-wise” to just upgrade from XP to Vista than it is to a Mac and OSX or whatever. I think that guy is living in a dream world if he thinks Macs are going to take over that quick. The only place I see Macs having a stronghold is in Art/Design oriented jobs and maybe schools if they play it right. Once they have the schools locked down, then the businesses may gradually change but not quickly.

(Even in Art/Design jobs, especially web based and multimedia (CD/DVD/Video) jobs, PC’s abound. Sites (Dual Platform CD-ROM/DVD development is a whole different ball game and has it’s own headaches, throw audio data onto a CD and it’s even more of a headache) look different on Mac’s vs. PC’s and within that each browser and within that each browser version sometimes. So it’s best to have both systems in your company with a wide variety of browsers for testing reasons.)

4. Jeff
    28. July 2005 at 12:55

Why does William H. Macy want to show himself off again? I think he leads the league in old-man nudity with Harvey Keitel. It’s a brave thing to do I guess but c’mon…no one wants to see it.

5. Bill H.
    28. July 2005 at 16:06

No link to the “V for Vendetta” preview on Apple’s Quicktime site? I’m disappointed.

6. Beau
    28. July 2005 at 17:18

Macs also have the newspaper industry locked down. In the mid-1990s, a newspaper-specific publishing program (News Edit Pro IQue) was released at the same time the industry was doing their big capital expenditure. It’s an OK program. At the time, it had a lot of bells and whistles no word processing program had then, like versioning and tracking who’d edited what, but by today’s standards, it’s not really any better than a recent version of Microsoft Word (it’s certainly less user-friendly). But the industry is loath to do another big capital expenditure for all-new software and whatever mods would be needed to make the software work with layout software. So we’re stuck with it (and our ancient Macintoshes).

(This is also how we’re stuck with a newspaper-only e-mail system many newspapers use that uses its own protocols and not the e-mail ones the rest of the planet does. I know, the mind reels.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if many schools and artsy type industries used Macs more because they can’t afford to change instead of some outdated sense that Macs are magically much easier to use (which hasn’t always been true) and have better graphics or sound (which has been arguably untrue for quite some time now).

28. July 2005 at 17:19

Bill – I had it, lost it in an unfortunate editing accident where I lost an entire post, and missed it upon reconstruction of that post. That’s the short story. I’ll be sure to link to it this weekend, because it’s HIGH DEF! No other reason.

8. Shane
    28. July 2005 at 17:22

Beau- I didn’t know that about the newspaper industry. Thanks for the info.

9. Logan
    29. July 2005 at 02:47

Despite Macy’s pasty white butt, I loved the hell out of COOLER. Man, I forgot Alec Baldwin could actually act! Mamet+Macy=SOLD!