And we’re back. . .

Sorry for the lost weekend, folks. Simply put, VariousAndSundry.com got hacked. It’s better now.

By the time you read this, I’ll have updated the software to prevent this sort of tomfoolery from happening in the same way again. (I leave open the possibility that the scumbuckets might find a new way in.)

The site might look different, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It just means I’m too lazy to tweak all the values needed to make it look like it used to.

Thanks for your patience.

The DVD podcast will also be delayed due to the lack of a server over the weekend. I hope to have it up on Wednesday night for you. Sorry about that.

Update: Hmm, I really like the default template from WordPress. I like the blue. I like how organized everything looks, even with the chaos on the right column. . . I might just throw up the podcast links and the Google Ads and call it a day. . .

12 Responses to “And we’re back. . .”

3. October 2005 at 23:54

Testing comments.

2. Jonah Weiland
    3. October 2005 at 23:58

And they work!

Now that you’re running the latest WordPress, check out some of the easy to add templates that are available. For my own site I found a template I liked, changed it ever so slightly (I widened the text area and some other minor tweaks) and voila! I had a (slightly) unique looking Web site.

4. October 2005 at 00:01

i was just looking at the template. First, I need to go in and change its permission so that I CAN update it. UGH — last time I did that, it was writeable by the world. Then, I need to start the tedious and arduous task of those minor changes.

And the index.php has changed a TON since the old version. I have to navigate all these templates now. . . Time. It’ll all take time.

I like a lot of the new dashboard/editing stuff behind the scenes, though. Maybe that’s just because it looks like a new toy. I LOVE the fact that they have a PAGE editor thing now. I’m going to make use of that when I get around to setting up eBay auctions and the like. (Or, more specifically, when I want to set up a page of all the crap I plan on selling and want it to have its own static page I can point people to BEFORE I go to eBay…) Maybe even some occasional photo logs. Less software to install that way. We’ll see.

4. October 2005 at 00:02

Oh, and I just received the first spam comment of the updated blog. THAT didn’t take long, did it? It’s been deleted. ::sigh::

5. Jonah Weiland
    4. October 2005 at 00:08

The anti-spam controls in the latest WordPress are outstanding. The banned word list is especially helpful. Love that stuff. I used to get like 30 or 40 spams comments a day. Now not a one shows up on my blog.

6. John C.
    4. October 2005 at 09:14

Count one vote for the new look over the old. Much tighter.

7. Robbo
    4. October 2005 at 09:24

brainiac.boilingpoint.com

4. October 2005 at 09:30

Thanks, John, I tend to agree. I’ll see about remaking the logo banner with the blue color…

Robbo – I agree.

Jonah – I had six comment spams this morning in the moderation queue. Deleted them all out of habit before realizing there’s now a “spam” option. COOL! I also have things set up so that I have to approve any post from someone who’s never posted before. After that, they’re free to post. That’s proving helpful.

9. Sean
    4. October 2005 at 14:44

I second the idea of recreating the V&S logo in blue. Much better Augie.

10. Beau
    4. October 2005 at 15:47

Get the hashcash plug-in. My URL has been out there on the Internet since 1996, and I’ve gotten ZERO comment spam.

And definitely check out the template choices. They’re super-easy to add. I like Cub Reporter, but the typewriter is HUUUUUGE. But it might be a good fit for you.

11. Mike
    5. October 2005 at 00:26

It’s about time you got around to upgrading. :)

One thing to keep in mind about the “mark as spam” option is that the spam is actually kept in the database, supposedly to be used by some future spam-analysis feature. Obviously, that can cause the database to become bloated pretty quickly. I’ve been using the CJD Spam Nuke plugin to clear the “hidden” spam out, but it doesn’t seem to work with 1.5.2. I just started using Bad Behavior to (hopefully) block spam from even being posted; I’ll let you know how that goes.

I’d also recommend the x-Dashboard plugin, which replaces the default dashboard with a much more useful one.

12. Beau
    5. October 2005 at 02:27

Incidentally, if you like blue and clean, look at the Flex theme on the WordPress site.