24 Season 5: Noon to 1:00 p.m.

I just read that John McCain would be doing a five second cameo in an upcoming episodes of ’24.’ It’s ironic, given how he’s pushed through legislation to prevent Jack Bauer from potentially saving the country in ways such as those shown in today’s episode.

But this isn’t politics, this is 24, where Jack rules uber alles and everything else follows close behind.

Don’t discuss coming attractions, but feel free to discuss everything else we’ve seen so far. I’ll start after this break. THERE BE SPOILERS!

I, for example, thought Walt Cummings explanation for his actions was really quite clever, though it did go a step too far and rely on some not-so-reliable creeps. If it weren’t for offing an ex-president and getting into bed with separatists, it might have worked.

And, damn, the president is quite the flip-flopper, isn’t he?

And this is how nit-picky I’m getting. That chick from SPIN CITY hugs Jack. You can see her watch face for a split second. I paused. It looked like it said 2:10. It definitely wasn’t the 1:20 or so it should have been.

8 Responses to “24 Season 5: Noon to 1:00 p.m.”

1. EzekielRawlins
    31. January 2006 at 00:09

Man, this President Logan is a jackass…no backbone whatsoever. And no matter how much I try whenever I see Novak-I always picture him beating the crap outta Bruce Willis in Sin City. Pretty good episode.

2. Arune Singh
    31. January 2006 at 01:45

Ah, Jack Bauer Torture Hour. How I missed thee. I liked that Cummings isn’t some uber, over the top villain. I wished they’d explored the motives of the terrorists last year, but it would’ve pissed off too many people, so I’m glad to see real motivation this year. Still, the Computer Nerd Superboss guy has a larger story, I’m sure, and he’ll somehow figure into the rest of the series.

I look at Mike and keep seeing Cheney. It’s weird.

There are a lot of nice continuity nods this season. And who thinks Audrey is dead by season’s end?

3. Shawn
    31. January 2006 at 08:49

Arune – Knowing Jack’s luck with woman it has to happen. Nothing like seeing Jack almost plucking out the eye of the Chief of Staff right in front of the President and not listening to a word he said. I am the President STOP! Would anyone ever listen to that driveling moron!

4. Arune Singh
    31. January 2006 at 09:07

Also, Augie, I think Jack’s use of torture falls under the “ticking time bomb” scenario that politicians say ia rare, but creates a situation people would be ok with if torture was used. I remember some senator actually referencing 24.

31. January 2006 at 10:44

Arune – nah, even the ticking time bomb scenario is discredited by the true peaceniks these days. I believe McCain was against even that.

And, hey! Wound To The Eye Motif on 24! COOLNESS!

6. Mark
    31. January 2006 at 13:14

Augie, don’t worry about McCain’s legislation–didn’t Bush basically sign it but also say, “I’ll do whatever the hell I want. Yee-hah!” :)

Pure speculation here…

1) Is the guy in charge of the terrorists still in charge? Or did he get double-crossed as well?

2) If this guy is still in charge, anyone want to place a bet that he’ll be dealing with the Bauer situation by placing a call to the Chinese Embassy?

7. Arune Singh
    31. January 2006 at 15:16

Augie,

Really? I gotta say, I do support McCain, because I think he’s a man of integrity, but if the situations in 24 came to fruition, I’d support Bauer 100%.

8. Arune Singh
    31. January 2006 at 15:18

PS: I thought it was said the the ticking bomb situation isn’t realistic, so the debate over it is irrelevant, not that McCain and Co would dismiss it as “no torture.”