AI5 – Hell Week 1

We started last night with something like 175 people. We ended with 99. Next week, we’ll be bringing it down to 36 and then 24. The following week, if I’m guessing right, is when the fun really begins.

The twins who we know already are destined to be booted out are, indeed, annoying. It’s going to be fun to see those two egos kicked out of the competition.

The other twins, though — I would have put the first through and sunk the second.

It’s nice that they let Laryngitis Girl go through, but this should be the only free ride she gets. It’s unfortunate to get sick at this point, but you’ve got to sing to win. (Did you hear that, Michele Kwan? Sadly, the Olympics people didn’t feel the same way. But I digress. . .)

The young cowboy kid is cute, but I don’t think he’ll make the next cut. It’s like listening to a Munchkin sing.

Crazy Dave returned and really ticked me off. There was a Meat Loaf song the contestants could choose to sing, and he was the only one we got to see sing it. Dagnabit! I would have loved to see someone good try “Bat Out Of Hell.” But Dave is gone now. He was funny for a short time, but Simon had the honor — and took particular glee — in showing him the door.

Many of the usual suspects of Best Auditions made it through, so don’t get too worried. One or two crashed and burnt, but that’s just the beginning of a long season. Stay tuned.

If you’re looking for bonus reading material this morning, I heartily recommend Foxes on Idol’s interview with producer Ken Warwick. It covers everything from the Austin/San Francisco auditions to the twins who are about to be no more to GLAAD’s interference, and more. All the hot buttons are discussed. Great interview.

6 Responses to “AI5 – Hell Week 1”

1. Mark Katzoff
    9. February 2006 at 12:08

I agree 100% that I would have liked to have seen more people singing Bat Out of Hell. There must have been some spectacular crash and burns there. Dave just totally wasted his shot with that performance.

2. Jeff
    9. February 2006 at 12:43

Tough not having TiVo last night. I had to flip between the Grammys and AI. But in all coincidence, most of AI was on while the Grammys were on commercial or during an uninteresting performance and vice versa.

I’m eager to see how the twins, especially Mr. I DON’T DO GROUPS, will fare next week even though we all know they’re gone. I just don’t get how you can say that when it’s part of the competition.

3. Josh Herndon
    9. February 2006 at 16:49

It may have just been me, but I could have sworn that Ryan announced that 66 were elimiated last night. But by my math 175 minus 66 woould only be 109, not the 99 they said remained? Anyone else catch that?

4. Josh Herndon
    9. February 2006 at 16:51

Hey Augie, just saw this about the Brittenum twins….thought you may want to post it somewhere on the website. May be kind of spoilerish, but it certainly continues American Idol’s tradition of people getting in trouble with the law….

5. Josh Herndon
    9. February 2006 at 16:53

Oops, scratch that…just re-read your original post, and looks like this is not news to you! Sorry for being so behind the times!

6. teddy
    11. February 2006 at 13:07

paris still the front runner along with mcfee, or mc phee whatever, no guy stands out just yet, unfortunately i think a girl stands th chance of winning again