New releases, 28 Feb 2006

Full release list.

My highlights:

The Avengers: Complete Emma Peel Mega-Set (17-disc set)

The world needs more 17- disc sets. Though it’s only going to be 14 discs, just wait for the Superman megaset this fall. . .

C.O.P.S.: The Animated Series (4-disc set)

I barely remember this one anymore. I seem to only ever recall watching the last two minutes of episodes because something I wanted to watch was always on right after it. DC did a comics series based on the show at the time, didn’t they? Hey, if Marvel was running with the animated POLICE ACADEMY comic, then surely DC should have had C.O.P.S.

Network (Two-Disc Special Edition)Dog Day Afternoon: Special Edition (2-disc set) (1975) Network: Special Edition (2-disc set) (1976)

Those two go together nicely. NETWORK is a great movie. George Clooney is set to remake it as a live TV movie, complete with Les Moonves returning to his acting roots. I’m sure Clooney will be sure to take pot shots at Fox News along the way, too, being the creative dynamo that he is.

The Drew Carey Show: TV Favorites

If I can’t get the season sets, I’ll settle for this for now.

The Ice Harvest (widescreen) (2005)

A little dud of a Christmas movie starring everyone’s favorite, John Cusack.

Lady and the Tramp: 50th Anniversary Edition (2-disc set) (1955)

Best-selling release of the week, I’d bet.

Night Court: TV Favorites

The first season came out a year ago already, with no second season released yet. Is this a bad sign?

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

This one features Oscar nominee, Keira Knightley, the sexiest tomboy beanpole on the planet. I’m beginning to think that that description of her is suffering from the law of diminishing returns. Do people still remember its origins? I’m probably one of the last few in an internet age where memory isn’t an issue; we have Google.

Walk the Line (2-Disc Collector\'s Edition)Walk the Line: Collector’s Edition (2-disc set) (widescreen) (2005) Walk the Line (widescreen) (2005) Walk the Line (pan-and-scan) (2005)

Great movie, horribly overlooked by the Oscars people. Sure, it’s got all the usual cliches of this kind of bio-pic, but it was still entertaining as all get out.

Next week: FREE ENTERPRISE gets a special edition so you can see William Shatner rapping in all his glory. The latest HARRY POTTER movie is released. The “Borg” pack of STAR TREK episodes shows up. And a couple of other quaint DVDs will round it all out.

10 Responses to “New releases, 28 Feb 2006”

1. Cousar
    28. February 2006 at 10:30

That description of Keira worked for BEND IT, but I don’t think it’s worked since. Besides, she had already been in STAR WARS by that point.

2. Matthew M
    28. February 2006 at 10:45

The “sexiest tomboy beanpole” thing originated from a sidebar ad that ran on AINT IT COOL NEWS for what seemed like MONTHS. It was written in a review blurb that was plastered on an ad for “Bend It Like Beckham”.

My god, nobody could let that go for over a year!! =)

28. February 2006 at 11:41

Matthew – and I’m here to make sure we never forget!

4. Nick
    28. February 2006 at 12:15

Newsradio Season 3 comes out today as well. That’s the only purchase I’m making… unless Lady and the Tramp is requested by my wife. Because, you know, I’d never purchase that on my own. Never.

5. Jeff
    28. February 2006 at 17:48

You’ve given me the best news of the week with the release of C.O.P.S. Now all I need is M.A.S.K. and Visionaries and my 80′s favorites collection would be set.

6. Jason
    1. March 2006 at 00:03

Mask crusaders . . . working over time, fighting crime.

Damn fine show – and some fun toys.

7. Matthew M
    1. March 2006 at 08:53

“T-Bob”, indeed…

8. bluuzman
    1. March 2006 at 09:00

Augi, I’m in major agreement with you about “Walk the Line.”

9. tomthedog
    1. March 2006 at 11:38

I can not BELIEVE they still won’t release Drew Carey season sets. I would buy them in a heartbeat. That show was so funny for so long. I don’t want to buy some bits-n-pieces DVD… but maybe if this DVD doesn’t sell, they’ll believe there’s no market for the season sets. Grrr.

Also, a dignified SHRIEK to word of the NewsRadio season 3 DVD. One of my favorite sitcoms ever. I had almost given up hope that they were going to keep releasing the DVDs. I must buy this today.

10. Steve G
    2. March 2006 at 12:57

Ah, yes – C.O.P.S. was freaking awesome, if short lived. Never garnered enough respect to be included in the recent spate of 80s property revivals, but I have a soft spot for it in my heart nonetheless. And (with Augie’s permission) I’d like to segue into a plug for my site, where we’re currently running a contest giving away two copies of Season One on DVD. Big Boss’ll be pissed if you don’t enter…