Lost – Season Two Finale

Spoiler flag flies high!

OK, I watched the two hour finale last night, so we can open this up for all your discussion and question needs.

But I don’t want to hear anyone whine that they didn’t answer anything, and all they did was ask stupid questions. That’s just factually inaccurate. This was a big reveal of an episode.

That said, the four-toed foot was pretty weird and wild.

But, still, I thought it was a great finale for the season, if only because I picked up on the electromagnetic pulse knocking down the plane way back at the beginning of the season after we saw the initial Orientation movie. ;-)

Poor Locke just can’t find a thing to have faith in. He keeps getting it wrong.

Next season looks to unlock even larger mysteries of the island, as we’ll get to know “The Others” or “The Hostiles,” and find out what’s going on with the Hanso Foundation and Widmore.

And, remember, “you can find anyone if you have the money.” That’s not an exact quote, but it does explain the final scene.

10 Responses to “Lost – Season Two Finale”

1. Rob B
    26. May 2006 at 11:06

I thought the guy who spoke to pen had a strong resemblance to Jack. The statue foot was neat, could they be “Lost” or could the island be the “Lost” island of Atlantis?

Fake Henry Gale “We are the good guys Michael.”

2. Adam
    26. May 2006 at 13:04
    Here you see is the pedestal of a statue, with only half a leg and four toes remaining: there were many here once.

“Hedlong Hall” by Thomas Love Peacock

3. Vichus Smith
    26. May 2006 at 13:10

But I still wanna know what the smoke monster’s about! That wasn’t answered yet. Is it some massive ghost creature or a man-made security device?

Anyway, The four-toed giant statue made me think of two things

1) A nod to the simpsons

2) A nod to Planet of the Apes

Does this statue relate to anything in mythology or fiction from the real world?

Also, I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Michael and Walt- well, at least Walt. I think Michael’s gonna be a hero to his former friends, but that’s too little, too late.

Henry Gale is the best. I don’t think I saw his emergence as the true leader coming at all. All I knew was that he was very crafty and eeeevil.

Just have one question: how far does this eltectromag pulse extend to? Was the plane even close to the island, or was it thousands of miles away?

4. Bart Smith
    26. May 2006 at 14:20

I still don’t buy the EMP being the cause of the plane crash. With all the connections we’ve seen between the passengers of Flight 815, I can’t see how it crashing on the Hanso Foundation’s island being nothing more than a coincidence.

5. Mark
    26. May 2006 at 14:31

The problem with Bringing walt back is that the boy who plays him has grown a lot in 2 years, if you look at the end of the finale he was never shown in full profile, always waist up or at a wierd perspective. Given that they have only been there for a few months, this would be not easily explained.

Oh and charlie had just seen 2 friends possibly die underground and what does he do? chat up the women, typical rockstar.

6. Mark
    26. May 2006 at 14:34

bart, how does that fit in with the numbers though? Hurley is the real unexplainable here. another Libby’s husband died? so she had a breakdown, got out, then went around giving boats to random strangers? At least we finally know that they are in the real world with the final scene. I assume Desmond might have been sailing due west on his compass and this was being thrown off due to effect of the island, rather than it being the only place left.

7. Justin
    26. May 2006 at 14:37

Maybe y’all have covered this already, but isn’t Henry Gale the name of Dorothy’s uncle in the Wizard of Oz? Interesting reference, if so.

8. Nick
    26. May 2006 at 14:42

I think we learned a lot more than we’re talking about too. Realize, up until this episode, it was still possible that the survivors were:

A) In purgatory B) On another world C) In another time

But that epilouge pretty clearly shows they’re just on a hard to find island.

My thoughts: Penny is searching for the island. Daddy Widmore planted Libby and the boat in Desmond’s path to get rid of him on the Dharma island (the Widmore family is a part of the Dharma Initiative according to the Bad Twin novel). Penny knows what happened, but still couldn’t find this mysterious island… until now.

I also think Michael will resurface. I forsee a final scene many months from now in which Penny gets a phone call from Michael. Michael strikes me as a decent person that made some very poor decisions. I think guilt will drive him to try to help the island folk.

I too have a big problem with Desmond bringing down the plane. I guessed it back before he first ran away, when the hatch was investigated and the button introduced, but still… the odds of him randomly bringing down a plane that had not one, but TWO people he’d previously met… and someone that Inman had met (Sayid)… I don’t know about that.

And that statue FREAKS me out… I also was thinking Simpsons. Maybe it was a giant Homer-in-a-toga statue? Maybe?

9. Bart Smith
    26. May 2006 at 15:50

It’s possible she had the breakdown after that. It’s also possible that she never had a husband and never had a mental breakdown. It’s worth noting that her husband’s name was Dave and Hurley’s imaginary friend’s name was Dave.

Didn’t the Wizard tell Dorothy that once she leaves Oz, she’ll never be able to come back? Just like Henry tells Michael. Or am I thinking of Aslan and Narnia?

10. Rob B
    26. May 2006 at 22:15

Except there were about 10 or 15 more Oz books….