On store shelves tomorrow

Patriot Acts

Greg Rucka’s new Atticus Kodiak book, at last, is here! This is a cause for much celebration!  Click on an Amazon link above and get pre-ordering! =)

12 Responses to “On store shelves tomorrow”

1. Trip Bakun
    27. August 2007 at 20:33

I’m torn – do I buy the Hardcover or wait for the MMPB? All of my other Atticus novels are paperbacks…

27. August 2007 at 21:01

I think I have all of them as MMPBs, but that’s only because I wasn’t buying them as they were coming out. I bought the two Q&C novels in hardcover, so I’m going with that on this one. Ordered it on Amazon with two day shipping. Wheeeee!

3. Trip Bakun
    28. August 2007 at 01:44

Are you going to read Critical Space again first? Rucka mentioned that this was probably a good idea in the most recent Debrief he did with Siuntres and in the email from his mailing list this week. I’m contemplating doing it…I can’t remember much from the previous book. Wasn’t Atticus somewhere on a tropical island at the end of it or am I thinking of another book?

I’m currently making my way through the latest John Rain book (Requiem for an Assasin) from Barry Eisler. Good stuff as always! Have you ever read these? For the longest time I thought I was the only one reading them and then I heard Rucka mention Eisler’s books as some that he wants read someday.

4. Overworm
    28. August 2007 at 06:27

I have and love the Q&C novels, but haven’t tried his Atticus novels. Are they as good?

28. August 2007 at 21:28

Trip – I was thinking of rereading CRITICAL SPACE, actually. I’m going to take one last look for it tomorrow night. If I find it, I’ll probably reread it and put off PATRIOT ACTS for a week. It’ll be worth it, I think.

As I recall, the book ended in Mahwah, NJ with Atticus hobbling away in the arms of a couple other characters after shooting — crap, I can’t remember anymore. I should reread the book.

Haven’t read any John Rain books, no. I would like to read Wodehouse right now, actually. That stuff has me curious at the moment. But, again, lack of time is an issue.

Overworm — The Atticus novels are amazing. Honestly, some of the best novels I’ve ever read. I started the first and didn’t come up for air for a long time until I had read them all, more or less. Great thrillers. They’re smart, and they don’t have slow spots. Lots of tension, lots of research in there. But it never goes over the top with the technical jargon so as to be a show off, like some authors can do.

6. Trip Bakun
    28. August 2007 at 23:07

Well, in two days, I’ve just about completed Requiem so I think that I am going to take Critical Space with me as back-up.

Overworm – the Atticus novels are awesome. I became a bigger fan of comic book writer Greg Rucka after reading Finder and Keeper. The only one that I didn’t particularly care for was Shooting at Midnight. But that based purely on the fact that Atticus was in the book, but it was his girlfriend Bridget’s story for the most part.

7. Trip Bakun
    28. August 2007 at 23:22

Wow – that last reply by me was a mess. Should read “…with me as back-up on my business trip tomorrow” and “But that was based purely on the fact that Atticus’ GF Bridget was the main character of the book and I couldn’t stand her character because of her self-destructive tendencies.” Woo, now I feel a little better.

29. August 2007 at 05:59

Man, if you didn’t like SHOOTING because of Bridget’s self-destructive streak, you must have loathed A FISTFUL OF RAIN.

Now, if we REALLY wanted to catch up, we’d go back and read SMOKER before CRITICAL SPACE before PATRIOT ACTS.

9. Phil Foxx
    29. August 2007 at 07:59

How wrong is it that I’ve never even heard of the Atticus novels?

10. Trip Bakun
    29. August 2007 at 17:57

HATED A Fistful of Rain! Probably my least favorite Rucka work (novel or comic related) to date.

11. Scott Beeler
    30. August 2007 at 10:09

I love the Atticus books. Rucka can do tense thriller prose like a maniac. I first started reading Rucka with WHITEOUT but then got into his prose too shortly after that.

For those thinking of reading them, I’d suggest starting at the beginning, KEEPER, rather than the new novel. They’re not part of a single ongoing storyline, but there’s enough plot and character development carried over from book to book that it’d be best to read in order.

My favorite is SMOKER, but there’s no bad one really. I agree somewhat with Trip about the self-destructive stuff being a bit much in SHOOTING AT MIDNIGHT and A FISTFUL OF RAIN, but it’s a minor issue for me, not a major one.

30. August 2007 at 23:17

Phil – VERY wrong. Go out and correct that now. Start with KEEPER and work your way up the line.

I just started PATRIOT ACTS this afternoon. The prelude is the last couple of pages of the last book, which was enough to catch me up. And then all hell breaks loose for the next 40 pages. Brilliant. =)

Rucka jogs your memory enough that you’ll start remembering the crap that went down in CRITICAL SPACE quickly enough.