Mario Strikers Charged!

I picked up Mario Strikers Charged today. I think it’s the first Wii game I’ve bought for myself since launch day. (RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS and SSX were both gifts.) And I noticed something:

I once played sports in school. I hated practice with a passion. I just wanted to play.

Now that I’m in my thirties, I can’t wait to enter the practice mode of MSC to learn how the heck I’m supposed to use all these controls. I think there’s one button between the Wiimote and the nunchuk that doesn’t get used. (That’s the “2″ button on the Wiimote. “1″ is pause, as I recall.)

Yes, I even read the instructions now. My mother, at last, will be so proud. How many of our mothers would look over our shoulders when we were playing a video game growing up and ask, “What’s that?” “I dunno, Mom. You just need to pick it up.” “Didn’t you read the manual?”

I just pray I have the coordination left to figure out how to use my left thumb to move the character, my left index finger to make a lob pass, and my right index finger (I think) to indicate a pass to begin with. ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Man, I thought the original version of this game was exercise for my fingers. . . .

6 Responses to “Mario Strikers Charged!”

1. Chris Hunter
    28. August 2007 at 19:40

Hahaha!

You old fart!

When I go play games with peoplenow, which isn’t all that often, I MAKE them take me to the practice part of the game!

Feeling old here…

28. August 2007 at 21:20

You NEED the practice now, though. It’s not like games of old where there were two buttons and a joystick or crosspad. It’s all too complicated NOT to practice.

I miss Pong. And Burger Time.

3. Phil Foxx
    28. August 2007 at 22:51

Heh. I was just thinking about Burger Time the other day.

On the subject of video games, have you listened to Wil Wheaton’s keynote address from the Penny Arcade Expo? http://www.penny-arcade.com has the download link in Monday’s blog entry. Very NSFW language, but I can’t help but see my younger self in Wil’s stories about growing up as a gamer.

4. Inhumans99
    29. August 2007 at 11:27

The best edition of Burger Time was the Intellivision version, even better than the arcade. I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Burger Time on the Intellivision system, that and the Dungeons and Dragons game…so much fun.

5. Jeff
    29. August 2007 at 12:29

First game since launch day? Wha???? No Twilight Princess?

31. August 2007 at 21:29

Jeff – Nope. I’m not into those long adventure games at this point. I was happy with Wii Sports at the start. My only mistake was in buying the ultimately disappointing Monkeyball game. UGH

Inhumans — The Intellivision version of Burger Time is the ONLY version of BT worth playing. Everything else is a cheap knockoff.

Phil – I’ve heard good things about that keynote. Thanks for reminding me that I need to listen to it. . .