New DVD Releases for 28 August 2007

Here you have it, folks, the full DVD release list.

If you’d prefer some short cuts, here are my highlights gleaned from that same list:

• Air Guitar Nation (2007)

Who can resist an entire documentary about the air guitar championships? I think I’ve blogged about those before here. Now you can witness them in higher definition than YouTube can offer.

• Dr T & the Women: Special Edition (2000)
  • A Night At the Roxbury: Special Edition (1998)

It’s tough to figure out just which one is less deserving of a special edition DVD release, isn’t it?

• Friday Night Lights: Season One (5-disc set)

I’ve never seen it, but I know it has its ardent fans.

• Heroes: Seasons One (7-disc set)

I know I SHOULD watch this, but I don’t really have the time. Besides, I’m getting burnt out on the hype overdrive of this show already. They’re overhyping and overexpanding it too soon, and I fear it may crash earlier than many would expect. Or perhaps the short mini-arcs will give it enough flexibility to survive for a long time? I don’t know.

• Rowan Atkinson Live!

I like Steve Martin, but Rowan Atkinson should have played Inspector Clouseau in THE PINK PANTHER. Mr. Bean is an achievement in visual comedy, but he can do wonderful verbal comedy, too, as best seen on BLACKADDER.

• Samurai Jack: Season Four

I lost track of this show somewhere in its second season, but I’m very happy to see they’ve released the rest of the episodes on DVD. Next week: 30 ROCK’s first season comes to DVD.

7 Responses to “New DVD Releases for 28 August 2007”

1. RK Bentley
    28. August 2007 at 06:46

Stop making excuses and go watch Heroes!

Turn it on for background noise or somethin’.

The show is worth watching!

2. Paul
    28. August 2007 at 07:29

I don’t even have cable and I managed to watch all of Heroes Season 1 (thanks to NBC hosting the entire season online).

But Samurai Jack Season 4 is by far the best release of the week. This is the best of the series. There’s not a single weak episode present (Jack and the Baby is a bit too silly, but mostly in a good way.). The Scotsman Saves Jack two-parter is good enough that it should have had a theatrical release. Just makes the wait that much harder for the recently announced Samurai Jack movie. I’d want Genndy Tartakovsky to hurry up and finish The Power of the Dark Crystal except that I adore the first film and don’t want the sequel mishandled.

3. Dave
    28. August 2007 at 08:35

“Dr. T & the Women” was the second-worst movie I’ve ever seen–and the worst movie I’ve ever seen all the way through. (I walked out on “Punch Drunk Love.”) None of the characters were at all sympathetic (except, oddly, Tara Reid’s character, but perhaps that’s because she was cute), the plot rambled all over the place, and the ending was completely nonsensical.

The only saving grace of watching this movie is that my friends and I were the only ones in the theater, so we could ridicule it loudly as we watched it.

Are there other Robert Altman movies that are better than this one? Perhaps ones with plots and at least a couple of likable characters?

4. Matthew M
    28. August 2007 at 10:03

Do NOT judge Robert Altman films on the basis of the subpar “Dr. T”… at the very least, check out NASHVILLE (an all-time classic), SHORT CUTS, THE PLAYER, GOSFORD PARK, MASH, MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER, and THE LONG GOODBYE. You’ll be glad you did.

I haven’t seen a lick of HEROES either, mostly due to time and its slot against 24. But I’ll definitely be Netflix’ing Season One. The hype and overexposure, though, is somewhat grating. I guarantee you that the hardcores are going to be SCREAMING about how the upcoming Season “SUX!!!” after maybe two episodes, because it’s no longer “KEWL” or “bleedng edge” to be a fan. They did the same with X-Files. They did the same with Babylon 5. Actually, they only did that with B5, and that was during the fifth season, and I can’t say I blame them.

28. August 2007 at 21:24

RK – I couldn’t watch it as background noise. I have to pay attention to it. And I just have too many balls up in the air to juggle right now to aid 22 episodes of a TV show on top of it. =(

Paul — Is “Jack and the Baby” the LONE WOLF AND CUB episode?

Dave – I can’t blame you on PUNCH DRUNK LOVE. Wow, that was tedious and unnecessary. I know I’m just “not smart enough” to get it, but I don’t want to work that hard to figure out the POINT.

And I strongly recommend GOSFORD PARK. It, to me, is an unbelievable movie. The way all the characters dance across the screen and still have the plot make sense is a textbook on film direction.

Matthew – I liked the fifth season, but it’s obvious they had to vamp a bit in the wake of Ivanova’s loss. Not the strongest season, but still more entertaining than network television, and most anything genre related on TV at the time.

6. Josh Herndon
    29. August 2007 at 14:57

I bought Heroes and will be reqatching it in anticipation of Season 2. My wife isn’t as into superheroes and comics as me, but she LOVES the show. Really Augie, you should check it out sometime. I wouldn’t say it is overhyped as I think the hype is justified.

7. Paul
    30. August 2007 at 08:18

No, Jack and The Baby doesn’t have LW&C. (short trip to tv.com). That’d be on Volume 3, Episode 29. Meh, a so-so episode. LW&C’s cameos were probably the best thing about it.

I’m with you on season 5 of B5, Augie. It took a while to get going, but by the end it had some of the better episodes of the series. Londo’s resolution was simply heartbreaking.